Losing weight is fairly simple. Just eat fewer calories than your body requires and youll lose weight. The problem is youll likely lose more lean muscle tissue than you will actual fat.
Low carb diets have been very popular of late. The standard low carb diet is designed for the average person not a bodybuilder who needs to lose fat BUT NOT MUSCLE!
Losing fat, while retaining lean muscle tissue with a low carb approach is an entirely different story. It’s not just a matter of keeping carbs low and eating whatever you want. We need to look at six components of a successful fat loss diet plan in their order of importance. From this information you can formulate your own plan or modify the sample diet provided.
Maximum Fat Loss Hierarchy
- Plan for your Total Caloric Intake to be between 10 and 15 calories per pound of bodyweight – the lower your bodyfat the higher the calorie range. Men below 10% bodyfat and women below 15% should start their fat loss diet at 14 15 calories per pound of weight. If you look fat in the mirror, start at a slightly lower intake
- The total carbohydrates that you consume per meal and per day are next in importance. We concentrate not on carbohydrate grams alone, but on what we refer to as Active Carbohydrates
- Total Caloric Intake
- 1) Active carbohydrates = total carb grams grams of fiber
- 2) Active Carbohydrates should not exceed 25 grams per meal or 75 grams per day
- Protein Optimization 25-50 grams per meal. If you exceed 50 grams of protein per meal the amount of fat you lose will be compromised. Up to a point protein is the best thing you can eat. After you reach the limit that your body can utilize for muscle growth and maintenance the excess is converted to sugar and burned for energy at the expense of stored bodyfat.
- *Use Dietary Fats to Burn Bodyfat
- a) Greater emphasis on Omega 3 and Mono Unsaturated Flaxseed Oil Olive Oil>
- b) Less emphasis on saturated fats cream beef
- Include Carbohydrate loading meals every 3rd then 4th day. This Carb Load Meal:
- a) Refuels glycogen stores
- b) Prevents decline in metabolism, (T3 synthesis remains optimal)
- c) Provides variety mental ease
- d) Facilitates muscular growth by inducing uptake of Amino Acids and insulin surge drives IGF-1 production. Optimizes anabolic effect of insulin, while minimizing the lipogenic (fat producing) effect.
- Natural Thermogenesis certain foods you eat elicit a thermogenic effect, thus causing your body to burn more fat than one would expect from a caloric deficit alone. Concentrate on including these foods in your diet plan.
- a) Fruit with an excellent Thermogenic/Carbohydrate Ratio include: Apples, Blueberries, Grapefruit, Peaches, Strawberries vs. Inferior Thermogenic Effect Fruits: Bananas, Dried Fruit, Raisins, etc., Watermelon
- b) Thermogenic Vegetables: Asparagus, Broccoli, Cabbage, Celery, Lettuce, Mushrooms, Onions, Radishes, Spinach, Tomatoes
- c) Almost all proteins have a desirable thermogenic effect EXCEPT: proteins that are very high in fat, processed lunch meats, and processed proteins including most single species protein powders whey concentrate, whey isolate, etc. It is very possible that your fat loss efforts have been thwarted by mistakenly using a single species whey protein. Single species processed protein is assimilated too quickly and often burned as a fuel source inhibiting the burning of your stored bodyfat.
- Optimized supplement plan for maximum results. You cant lose fat and retain lean muscle tissue with diet alone. Supplements maximize nutrient intake with a minimum investment in calories.
Over the past five years at Beverly weve formulated more than 3,000 fat loss diets for bodybuilding competitors. In 90% of the cases some variation of the diet given below resulted in peak fat loss and optimum lean mass retention rate. This diet averages approximately 2400 calories over a weeks span. The caloric input of Beverly’s Mass and Ultra 40 Liver Tablets is included because weve found theyre indispensable for maximum energy and lean mass retention while losing bodyfat. Adjust as needed to meet your individual requirements.
- Lean mass retention Diet
- Meal #1
- 5 oz. lean meat (90% or leaner beef, Chicken or Turkey Breast)
- Fat free turkey breast and chicken breast are available in
- 5 oz. cans at the grocery
- + 6 egg whites, 2 yolks (if you prefer not to bother with
- Eggs you may substitute 1 scoop Ultra Size and 1
- whole egg blended in 6-8 oz. water
- ½ grapefruit
- Meal #2
- Protein Drink 1: 2 or 3 scoops Ultra Size, 12-oz. water
- You can also make a pudding by using less water and stirring Ultra Size into about 6-oz. water with a fork makes a great pudding
Protein Drink 2:
Three scoops Ultra Size supplies 51 g Multi Species Protein from casein isolate, whey protein isolate, whey protein concentrate, egg albumin and beef, Essential Fatty Acids from borage oil and safflower oil, fiber and only 15 grams carbohydrate. OR: 2 Scoops Muscle Provider, 1 scoop UMP, and 16-oz. water (add 3-4 strawberries we like the frozen ones that you get in a bag for a high thermogenic fruit) this is the ultimate meal replacement if competition is your goal.
A 51 grams Multi Species Protein blend: whey hydrolysate, whey isolate, whey protein concentrate, lactalbumin and egg albumin. We consider whey hydrolysate and egg albumin the best protein sources for muscle building on the planet! In addition UMP has a very positive effect on insulin allowing you to assimilate more protein in the muscles.
- Back to Diet
- Meal #3
- 8 ounces chicken (weighed prior to cooking) or 9 oz. can tuna
- 4 cups salad (lettuce, tomato, carrot, cucumber, green peppers, etc.)
- 2 tablespoons Newmans Vinegar and Oil dressing or make your own with 2 tablespoons Vinegar,
- 1 tablespoon Flax Oils and spices for flavor
- Meal #4
- 2 Scoops Muscle Provider
- OR: Protein Drink: 2 3 scoops Ultra Size, 12-18 oz. water
- Meal #5
- 8 ounces lean meat (chicken, turkey, fish, lean beef, etc.)
- 2 cups vegetables (asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower,
- green beans, spinach or zucchini)
Monday and Thursday: Add a 6th meal at the end of the day: 1.5 cups oatmeal (precooked) or cooked rice, 10 oz. potato or sweet potato, 6 oz. banana, 1 cup vegetables, 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- Fat Burning Supplement Plan
- 1 Super Pak with meal #1
- 2 Lean Out capsules
- 4 Ultra 40 tablets with each meal
- 4 Mass Amino Tablets with each meal
This optimized supplement plan works with your body chemistry through three different mechanisms to enhance the utilization of stored fat for energy while preserving lean muscle tissue.
- Lean Out is a highly advanced fat transport system that helps your body to utilize a greater percentage of stored fat to meet your energy needs. Left on its own in the absence of carbohydrate, even with the best diet available, your body finds it easier to break down amino acids (muscle tissue) to meet energy needs than to break down stored fat deposits. The nutrients in Lean Out make it easier for the body to utilize stored fat, thus preserving lean muscle tissue. Another advantage to using Lean Out is that it combats insulin resistance one of the main reasons many of us store fat instead of build muscle.
- Mass Aminos are the #1 Protein Hydrolysate product on the market. Derived from Casein, Mass aminos contribute another highly utilizable protein source at every meal. With the addition of Mass aminos every meal becomes a muscle building / fat burning multi species protein meal. Mass Aminos enhance the thermogenic effect of your food to burn more fat, while optimizing the amino profile to retain and build lean muscle.
- The Super Pak supplies all the co factors and catalysts for all your bodys metabolic processes. The array of nutrients found in these packs are like spark plugs that energize and regulate your metabolism. Keep your body tuned up and running in high gear and you will maximize fat loss.
- Finally, Ultra 40 liver tablets are included because on a maximum fat loss plan you need the highest quality nutrition that you can get. Ultra 40 provides you with all of the nutrients and enzymes of beef liver but with none of the fat. It is a concentrated source of B Vitamins, protein, and minerals. Ultra 40 has more going for it than any other bodybuilding supplement. Youll notice a difference within three or four days of taking them. Youll have more energy, more strength and a bigger pump. Dont even think of dieting without them.
- For Maximum Fat Burning and Lean Muscle Growth Contest Preparartion
- Modify the above Fat Burning Supplement Plan to include:
- 2 Lean Out capsules, 1 Energy Reserve Tablet and 3 GH Factor capsules three times daily upon arising and 45 minutes prior to meal #2 and meal #4
- 10 Muscle Mass BCAA tablets before training (training days only)
Research has shown that the components of GH Factor Arginine pyroglutamate and lysine when taken on an empty stomach can increase growth hormone release. GH Factor allows your body to release growth hormone that is stored in your pituitary gland. This additional release of growth hormone causes your body to release fatty acids from stored depositions to be utilized for your energy needs. It also allows your body to preserve and build lean tissue.
Two recent studies have shown that not only do the branch chain amino acids found in Muscle Mass build and maintain lean muscle tissue, but that more fat is burned in the presence of these BCAAs than would otherwise be metabolized. In brief what happens is your body detects the presence of the BCAAs as lean tissue being metabolized. Therefore in order to preserve homeostasis it switches over to fat burning to meet its energy needs. You win twice your lean muscle tissue increases while your fat stores decrease.