Want to get started in Physique? Here’s the kind of workout you should perform to get ready for your first contest. Each muscle group will be worked from a variety of angles with a pyramid (ascending poundage – descending rep) system. A typical 4 set series will look like this.
- Do twelve reps with a fairly easy weight as a warm-up. Form should be strict and reps at a slow tempo.
- Ten reps – very strict with a slightly heavier weight.
- Eight reps – heavier poundage, maintaining strict form.
- Six reps – heavy weight and a slightly looser style. The last two reps should be hard. If a 5th set is called for do 5 reps with a heavy poundage.
Some areas require higher repetitions but you’ll follow the same pattern of increasing intensity each set. We’ll follow a 2 on – 1 off; 1 on – 1 off workout schedule.
Day One: Chest / Back / Abs
- Bench Press or Machine Bench Press: 5x12, 10, 8, 6, 5
- Incline DB Press: 4x12, 10, 8, 6
- Decline (or Flat DB Flyes): 4x12,10,8,6
- DB Pullover (Chest / Back transition exercise): 4x10 – 15 reps (constant weight)
- Lat Pulldowns to front: 5x12, 10, 8, 6, 5
- 1 DB Row: 4x12,10,8,6
- Seated Row: 4x12,10,8,6
- Hanging Knee Up (or Reverse Crunches): 4 x maximum reps
- Crunches (or Ab Machine Crunch) superset with #8: 4 x maximum reps
Day Two: Lower Back / Thighs / Hamstrings / Calves / Abs
- Leg Press or Squat: 5x20, 15, 12, 10, 8
- Hack Squat: 4x12 (constant weight)
- Leg Extension: 4x15
- Hyperextension or Straight Leg Dead Lift: 4x10
- Leg Curl: 4x15
- Seated Calf Raise: 5x15 – 20
- Donkey Raise or Standing Calf Raise: 5x15 – 20
- Abs (same as Day One)
Day Three: Rest
Day Four: Shoulders / Biceps / Triceps / Abs
- Press Behind Neck or DB Press: 5x12, 10, 8, 6, 5
- DB or Machine Lateral Raise: 4x12, 10, 8, 6
- Rear Lateral Raise: 4x12, 10, 8, 6
- Lying Triceps Extension (behind head): 5x12, 10, 8, 6, 5
- Tricep Pressdown: 4x12, 10, 8, 6
- 1 Arm DB Extension: 4x12, 10, 8, 6
- Barbell Curl: 4x12, 10, 8, 6
- Incline DB Curl: 4 x 12, 10, 8, 6
- DB Concentration Curl or Preacher Curl: 3 x 10, 8, 6
- Abs (Same as Day One)