In August 2000 I started getting the itch to compete in my first bodybuilding competition. I’d been training six years while experimenting with many different supplements and diets. I read the books, every magazine on the rack, and even the
encyclopedias. The more I read the more confused I became. I finally decided on a simple plan – eat as much protein and high quality carbohydrates as I could. Funny thing though, while I looked a lot better than before, I was not close to good enough to step on stage. I needed some major nutrition fine–tuning.
One day at the gym I approached Vic Lavender, (who had looked awesome in winning both the NPC Kentucky Championship and Mid East Regional) and asked, What do I need to do to get ready for a show? Without any hesitation, he told me,
Avoid all the stupidity in the magazines and contact the best in the business, Beverly.
I called Beverly the very next day and was on my way. The Beverly program was completely structured. You start with a specific goal and baseline data – bodyweight, body composition and an overview of your current development.
Here’s all you need to do:
- Develop a specific goal.
- Call Beverly to give them a
heads upthat you’ll be sending in some info.
- Get an accurate weight and body composition analysis (you can normally find someone at a local gym or University that will be more than happy to do this.
- Take a couple of photos for an overview of your current development.
- Chart out your current nutritional program including supplements.
- Outline your current training and cardio program.
- Send this info email@example.com or Priority Mail to Beverly and you’re on your way.
Beverly will do the rest – just like they did for me. That first day at Beverly Jeremiah warned me that my program would work – but only if I followed it to the letter. In other words, to achieve my goal I had no time to waste and no room for compromise.
- My diet for the first four weeks:
- Meal #1
- 8 oz lean 92% lean beef, 3 egg whites, 1 yolk
- ½ grapefruit
- Meal #2
- Protein drink: 2 scoops Muscle Provider, 1 TBS Flax Oil,
- 4 frozen peach slices or strawberries
- Meal #3
- 8 oz lean meat (chicken, fish or turkey)
- Salad with 2 TBS Newman’s Own vinegar and oil dressing
- Meal #4
- Protein drink 2 scoops Muscle Provider, 1 TBS Flax Oil,
- 4 frozen peach slices or strawberries
- Meal #5
- 8 oz chicken, turkey or fish
- 2 cups vegetables or salad
Monday and Thursday: I added a sixth meal: 1.5 cups oatmeal, 10 oz sweet potato, 1 banana, 1 cup vegetables, 1 TBS butter
Here’s my initial supplement strategy designed to gain and retain lean muscle:
- Ultra Size or Muscle Provider with Ultimate Muscle Protein
- Super Pak with meal #1
- 4 Ultra 40 and 4 Mass aminos with each meal
- 2 Lean Out three times daily
- 3 ZMA 30 minutes before bed
After a few weeks of dieting came a critical element of the Beverly program – FEEDBACK. It was time to see my body’s response to my preliminary nutrition and supplement plan. I knew that I felt much fuller and stronger. As soon as I started using the Mass and Ultra 40 I felt a surge like something was pumping air into my muscles.
The first thing Jeremiah said when he saw me again was
you look much leaner already. He was right! I had already lost six pounds yet no strength at all! After measuring my body fat and totaling my lean muscle mass Jeremiah seemed confident that I was right on schedule so no changes were made to my diet until three weeks out from my show.
Now it was time to get as lean as possible. By that meant SHREDDED!
So, I trained to gain muscle with cardio at a minimum and made a few simple dietary changes:
- Substituted turkey breast for beefM.
- Ate carb meal in place of meal 5 on Monday instead of adding a 6th meal
- Added 4 Muscularity BCAA with each meal for maximum muscle retention
- Added 2 Energy Reserve three times daily to accelerate fat loss
Two weeks later I attended a Pre Contest Seminar the Beverly Staff conducted one week out from the show. In just one Saturday morning I learned all the mysteries of pre contest peaking - last minute details including diet, tanning, posing, training and even some hints on pumping up and putting my best foot forward on stage at the contest. I was given a packet at the seminar to use for a day-to-day guide the last week. It had everything I needed to manipulate my own nutrition, water, and sodium the last week in order to peak for the show.
How did it work? I’ll let the results speak for themselves. I competed in three shows; one was drug free while the other two were non-tested events. I placed 1st in my class in all three and won the overall at the Gold Cup!
I can honestly say I never would have had the confidence to step on stage if it were not for Beverly’s supplements and advice. I’m still amazed every time I think back to that first competition. Everything fell in place just as the Beverly Team said it would. I weighed in at exactly my goal weight. While others onstage with me were huffing, puffing and dripping with sweat, I remained poised, relaxed and hardly broke a sweat.
I would like to thank my brother Dave for all of his support (great workout partner). And extend a special thanks to Jeremiah and Beverly International.
Wow! 3 shows, 3 wins in a row, including the overall novice Gold Cup
I’m still amazed every time I think back to that first competition. Everything fell in place just as the Beverly Team said it would. While others onstage with me were huffing, puffing and dripping with sweat, I remained poised, relaxed and never broke a sweat.
Postscript – a follow up e-mail from Dan:
I would like to thank you and honestly tell you I don’t think I would have made it through to the end without your help of simplifying everything by taking out the guesswork. In the last six weeks before the first show I went through a divorce, graduated from school, and bought a new house – while working an average of sixty hours a week! Without help from Beverly there is no way I would have won these 3 contests!